The multibillion-dollar fisheries industry in India is going Blockchain with Walmart launching an end-to-end traceability of transportation and food safety procedures for shrimp sourced from the world’s second-largest country. In addition, Walmart will also be funding smallholder farmers in Andhra Pradesh to gain BAP certification training. It will also support them to gain access to new market opportunities.
The US-based retail giant has announced a pilot to track shrimp imported from Andhra Pradesh to selected Sam Club’s locations in the US.
“The introduction of blockchain in the shrimp supply chain could help improve the quality of information on the product for compliance purposes and for sharing with consumers, providing added traceability beginning at the farm and extending throughout the transportation process,” the company said.
The blockchain pilot will allow smallholder farmers to export to Walmart’s membership-only retail warehouse “Sam’s Club” food safety programme, which requires suppliers of seafood products to complete internationally-recognized standard best aquaculture practices (BAP). This includes responsible cultivation and sustainable farming to produce high-quality seafood produce.
“This end-to-end blockchain pilot is the first of its kind in India and has the potential to create long-term economic opportunity for the shrimp farming community in Andhra Pradesh, directly benefiting the farmers through new skills training and development,” said Chowdary Kunam, managing director of Sandhya Aqua.
For the pilot, Walmart has partnered with Andhra Pradesh-based seafood processor Sandhya Aqua and US-based supplier Stanley Pearlman Enterprises. Walmart has been working with IBM on the use of blockchain technology to enhance global food traceability since 2017, under the IBM Food Trust initiative.
IBM and Walmart have already launched several initiatives to strengthen food safety in the fresh produce supply chain, before entering the Indian seafood industry. The company uses the same blockchain technology to source all leafy green vegetables for Sam’s stores and Walmart.
Globally, the aquaculture market was valued at $169 Bn in 2015 and is expected to grow at 5.3% CAGR to touch $242 Bn by 2022. India, the world’s biggest shrimp exporter, counts the US as its largest market, with 46% market share by value of total exports. India exported over 248K tonnes of shrimp, worth $2.17 Bn to the US last year.
With this blockchain technology, the trading between the two countries will be strengthened by ensuring transparency in the supply chain and traceability. Using Blockchain technology, Walmart is looking to position India as the number one source of seafood for the US.
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp – October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit – October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra – October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country – October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million – October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) – October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act – October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding – October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting – October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round – October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges – October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace – October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts – October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association – October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency – October 2, 2019
- æternity Teams Up with Uruguay Can to Track Cannabis Production on the Blockchain – October 2, 2019
- Streamr Launches Global Pub/Sub Network For Machine Data – October 2, 2019
- SEC Orders Blockone to Pay $24 Million Fine for Unregistered ICO – October 2, 2019
- Aqilliz Rolls Out Blockchain Enterprise Product Lines for the Digital Marketing Industry – September 27, 2019
- Venezuela Central Bank Testing Shift to Cryptocurrencies to Pay State Oil Company Bills – September 27, 2019