open-source software and blockchain technology company Algorand has opened it’s TestNet to the public at large. Backed by an initial $66 million in invested capital from a distributed group of global investors, the Algorand protocol was designed by MIT professor, cryptography pioneer, and winner of the prestigious Turing Award, Silvio Micali.
Algorand offers several resources for businesses and developers who want to get up and running on the TestNet platform:
- Visit the Algorand developer site at developer.algorand.org to get started and access official documentation
- Participate in the public TestNet by installing an Algorand node – instructions are available here
After a successful private TestNet period with several hundred participants, the company is now inviting all businesses, developers and users to engage with TestNet and provide feedback on the quality, function, and overall experience of the TestNet protocol.
“Opening TestNet to the public is a major milestone on our journey to the open source release of the technology,” said Steve Kokinos, CEO at Algorand. “Today marks the latest step forward in our overall mission to enable the broader Algorand community to collaborate, innovate and contribute to the evolution of our public, permissionless blockchain platform.”
As a decentralized, public and permissionless platform that supports the scale, open participation and transaction finality for billions of users, Algorand will enable businesses to create applications in a scalable, secure and trustworthy way.
Prior to today’s announcement, Algorand’s TestNet had previously been limited to several hundred early participants from research, academic and partnership businesses, whose experiences and contributions have played an important role in improving the performance, scale and speed of the platform to date. Business partner TOP Network, a full-stack decentralized cloud communication service with 60 million users globally, actively participated in the Algorand TestNet and recently announced a partnership with Algorand to build next-gen layer 2 offerings for its user base.
“Our involvement in Algorand’s private TestNet offered a glimpse into the value that a mature and technically advanced blockchain such as Algorand can bring to our business,” said Steve Wei, founder and CEO of TOP Network. “We’re excited to see the platform evolve as we build. The Algorand team has run a collaborative and transparent TestNet that should only benefit from having larger, more open participation from its community.”
Based in Boston and founded by cryptography pioneer and Turing award winner Silvio Micali, Algorand is an open-source software company building technical innovation for the borderless economy with a platform that delivers decentralization, scalability and security. Algorand’s first-of-its-kind, permissionless, pure proof-of-stake protocol supports the scale, open participation, and transaction finality needed by users to build opportunity and fulfill the promise of blockchain technology.
For more information, visit https://www.algorand.com/.
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain – April 16, 2019
- Gibraltar Stock Exchange Opens the Doors to Secondary Market for Security Tokens – April 15, 2019
- Bittreo Releases Crypto Brokerage SAAS – April 14, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Head Says Cryptocurrency is Shaking the System – Wary Eye on Silicon Valley Data Collectors – April 14, 2019
- US Regulator SEC Issues First ‘No Action’ Letter for Unregistered ICO – April 13, 2019
- Jason Hanania: Architecture of a Technodemocracy – Author Interview – April 12, 2019
- Block.one’s FinLab EOS VC Fund Invests in Moonlighting – April 11, 2019
- Blockstack Files with SEC for Reg A+ Token Offering – April 11, 2019
- US Congress Introduces Bipartisan-Supported Token Taxonomy Act – April 10, 2019
- Facebook Allegedly Seeking USD$1 Billion VC for Cryptocurrency Project – April 9, 2019
- China to Ban Bitcoin Mining? – April 9, 2019
- Over $440M Orders Purchased – Gate.io Announces Gatechain Token (GT) Point Sale and GT Reward Distribution Results – April 9, 2019
- Bgogo Apollo Plans to Sell Algorand IOUs in an IEO, Without Permission – April 9, 2019
- Financial Stability Board Publishes Directory of Cryptoasset Regulators Across the World – April 8, 2019
- World-Class Cryptographers Team up to Build Agnostic Blockchain DCRM – April 8, 2019
- $50 Million Okta Ventures to Fund Modern Identity Solutions – April 8, 2019
- Vancouver’s Vanbex ICO Marketing Company has been Served – Property, Bank Accounts, Lambos and Land Rovers Seized – April 8, 2019
- SEC Releases Framework for “Investment Contract” Analysis of Digital Assets – April 5, 2019
- Minersinc Brings To India The Best Of World Cinema, Curates 200+ Critically Acclaimed Titles For Cinema Enthusiasts – April 3, 2019
- Berlin-based Brickblock Tokenizes Property in Europe in Private STO – April 2, 2019